Build Thread: Spohn OMC in Brazilian Rosewood & Swiss Moon Spruce
We're really looking forward to receiving our second instrument from Max Spohn, based in Germany.
Max Spohn learned the basics of guitar making from Thomas Ochs near Bamberg, Germany. He refined this knowledge during his studies of Lutherie at Westsächsische Hochschule Markneukirchen. Max also worked closely with Raymond Kraut, another incredible acoustic luthier on our roster.
We began working with Max earlier this year, after discovering his work at the Boutique Guitar Showcase. The first guitar we received from Max was his 00 model, in fiddleback Mahogany & Moon Spruce. We instantly fell in love with this instrument and couldn't wait to bring in another, this time a Spohn OMC model in Brazilian Rosewood and Swiss Moon Spruce.
Max has sent us some gorgeous photos of this instrument in build, which you can see below.
- Back & Sides: Brazilian Rosewood
- Top: Mastergrade Swiss Moon Spruce
- Neck: Honduran Mahogany
- Headplate: Spruce with custom inlay
- Backplate: Brazilian Rosewood
- Fingerboard: Ebony with fake binding Bridge: Brazilian Rosewood
- Binding: Ebony
- Backstrip: Custom inlay
- Side Markers: Brass dots
- Rosette: Custom inlay
- End Graft: Rectangular
- Fret Wire: Medium
- Finish: French polish
- Strings: Medium .013-.056
- Tuners: Schaller, Brass with Ebony buttons
- Case: BAM case in carbon black
- Trussrod: Stainless steel, double action
- Nut width: 45mm
- String spacing at bridge: 58mm
- Scale length: 25“
- Fingerboard radius: 20“