Going Electric: Huber Surfmeister and Collings I-35
In this week's Going Electric feature, TNAG's Brian Love is joined on the sofa by our good friend Ben Smith to take a closer look at a couple of the fantastic semi-hollow-bodied electrics currently residing in our showroom.
The pairing in question was that of our stunning new Nik Huber Surfmeister and the gorgeous Collings I-35 LC that recently hit our pre-owned section. Both instruments offer a different take on the construction, feel and tones available from a great semi-hollow electric!
Watch Brian and Ben delve into the details here:
For more information on these superb electrics:
Engaging and versatile, the Surfmeister from Nik Huber Guitars is an effortlessly adaptable, Californian inspired electric that marries exceptional build quality with a sleek and elegant aesthetic.
We've been continuously blown away by our new arrives from Nik and his team, and this brand new Surfmeister is very much a part of that. The Worn Copper finish suits the instrument down to the ground and with a handful of bespoke appointments, this really is a special piece.
The guitar is a true joy to play, with the open pore finish of the body and neck offering a very natural feel to the instrument that fits right in line with its natural resonance and liveliness. Under the left hand there is little resistance as you glide up the neck, with the classic Huber neck carve a familiar and inviting feel that's hard to resist.
The semi-hollow construction, in tandem with the Bigsby B5 and TroneBucker pickups from Haussel, takes you right into a world of shimmer and chime with gorgeous sustain and body to its output, even unplugged. Running into your amplifier of choice, the Surfmeister offers a warm and fat tonality that plays as well with effects as running straight in riding the huge dynamic range.
- Top: Maple
- Body: Mahogany, Semi-Hollow
- Neck: Mahogany
- Neck Carve: Std. Dolphin
- Fingerboard: East Indian Rosewood
- Inlays: Sterling Silver Rings
- Headstock: Ebony with Signature MOP Inlay
- Finish: Worn Copper Top, Open Pore
- Pickups: TroneBucker Set
- Tuners: Schaller GrandTune
- Tuner Buttons: Tulip
- Bridge: Bigsby B5 / Tune O Matic
- Knobs: Top Hats - Black/Silver Brushed
- Switch Tip: Black Brushed
- Back Plate: East Indian Rosewood
- Custom Order: Bigsby
The I-35 LC is Collings acclaimed semi-hollow body electric and blends superb craftsmanship and contemporary appointments with a distinctly vintage feel and tone.
The construction is as classic as the design, but executed to an exemplary standard, with the laminate Figured Maple a stunning visual under the natural finish.
The Lollar Low Wind Imperial Humbuckers could not be a better choice for this stunning electric, and do an inspiring job of capturing quintessential, classic tones while remaining versatile and articulate.
The Aged Natural Nitrocellulose finish also adds spades of vintage mojo and gives the guitar a fantastic, played in feel straight out of the case, incredibly comfortable under the left hand with a medium-fat 'C' profile and boasting singing sustain and a lively response.
The guitar is in superb condition and comes in its original Collings Hardcase.
- Top: Select figured maple semi-hollow laminate
- Back and Sides: Select figured maple semi-hollow laminate
- Neck: Medium-Fat "C" neck shape - Mahogany
- Fingerboard: Ivoroid bound Indian Rosewood
- Headstock Veneer: Ebony w/ MOP Collings logo
- Scale Length: 24 7/8"
- Frets: 22, Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Nut Width: 1 11/16" Bone
- Pickups: Lollar Low Wind Imperial Humbukers (aged nickel)
- Controls: 2 x Volume, 2 x Tone (CTS 500K/ Jupiter Vintage Yellow)
- Bridge: Kluson ABR-1(nickel-plated zinc w/ retaining wire)
- Tailpiece: Kluson Stop Tailpiece (nickel-plated zinc, steel studs)
- Machine Heads: Nickel Gotoh w/ Collings logo (aged)
- Includes: Collings deluxe hardshell case by Ameritage
- Finish: Gloss nitrocellulose lacquer aged finish and hardware
- Binding: Non-grained ivoroid
- Pickguard: Black/Cream/Black
- Brand: Collings