Luthier Spotlight: McNally Guitars
This stunning parlour is one of our first two guitars from Northern Irish Luthier Ciaran McNally, and combines an exquisite set of Cocobolo with a Master Grade Cedar top, and upon delivery had all of our jaws firmly set to the floor.
Ciaran's instruments blend an elegant, natural aesthetic with a fine tuned attention to detail, with this ethos echoed very much by the tone of this versatile small-bodied acoustic. The Cocobolo provides a simultaneously sensitive and powerful feel to the guitar which is rounded out by the Cedar top. The response of the instrument is immediate and inspiring with great sustain and overall balance.
With the 24.9" Scale and 12 fret join, the guitar is intimate to play and feels smooth and elastic under the left hand. The intonation through to the upper registers is stellar, with superb clarity and definition to each note perfect for wide voicings and alternate tunings alike and makes for a real treat to play in a host of styles.
“Cedar is great choice for this size. Its softness, and warmth help to take the ‘Shouty’ edge off smaller guitars. Add in the short scale, and rich projecting Cocobolo, and this makes for a lively, warm and complex sound. Check out that grain on the end pin!”
- Cocobolo Back & Sides
- Master Grade Cedar Top
- Baked European red spruce bracing
- Ebony bindings
- Abalone rosette
- Ebony Fretboard & bridge
- Mahogany neck with volute
- Ebony headstock back and front overlay
- Gold Gotoh tuners with Ebony buttons
- Celtic Knot & script logo in gold foil
- Ebony bridge Pins
- Bone nut and saddle
- 1 3/4′′ (45mm) nut width
- 24.9′′ scale length – 12 fret join
- Gloss finish with Satin rear of neck.
- Bolt on neck joint with two way truss rod
- Hiscox Pro II case with certificate
- Limfetime warranty to the first owner.
This beautiful OM in Hawaiian Koa and Master Grade Sitka is one of our first two instruments from sensational Northern Irish Luthier Ciaran McNally, and is a wonderful showcase of talented luthierie and a keen, distinctive eye for detail.
This OM has a sense of balance to it that goes far beyond the tone of the guitar, with a delicate harmony to the visuals and a charming contingency to the Walnut Accents throughout that brings the whole instrument together in a distinctive and defined manner.
Sonically the guitar presents a deeply versatile tone, with a well rounded bass response and the sweet, even trebles Koa is renowned for. The dynamic range of the guitar makes for an immersive playing experience, with a sensitive and lively response at either end and plenty of headroom should you dig in.
The playability of the instrument is superb, with the traditional OM Scale providing a snappy and strong fundamental to each note with a clear and defined voice all the way up to the dusty end of the fretboard.
“The Koa on this guitar is really beautiful, but this Sitka top is the real show stopper for me. Ultra silky from edge to edge. This particular guitar represents the sound I would choose to buy personally. Sweet trebles with a clear defined bass. Dynamic under a light touch, but can still take a strumming thanks to that Sitka!”
• Mastergrade Sitka Spruce
• Hawaiian Koa Back and Sides
• Baked European red spruce bracing
• Walnut binding, bevel and back centre strip
• Walnut Rosette
• Ebony Fretboard & bridge
• Mahogany neck with volute
• Ebony headstock back and front overlay
• Mitred Walnut trim
• Nickel Gotoh tuners with Ebony buttons
• Celtic Knot logo in Mother of pearl
• Ebony bridge Pins
• Bone nut and saddle
• 1 3/4′′ (45mm) nut width
• 25.4′′ scale length
• Gloss finish with Satin rear of neck.
• Bolt on neck joint with two way truss rod
• Hiscox Pro II case with certificate
• Limited lifetime warranty to the first owner.