Two Remarkable Pre-Owned PRS Private Stock Guitars Arrive!
It is a very rare occasion indeed for us to find ourselves with more than one Paul Reed Smith Guitar in our showroom at a time, and rarer still for them to both be such glorious examples of the PRS Private Stock division as the pair currently gracing our walls.
Although there are few greater pleasures for us than helping someone find and acquire the instrument of their dreams, being trusted with and helping people find new homes for instruments of such calibre is a truly wonderful experience in of itself. And when it involves guitars like these, it truly is an honour.
The pair that have found their way to our showroom showcase two very different sides of the PRS Private Stock range, though unified in Paul's ethos for building only the finest instruments he and his team are capable of building, from the most sought after and illustrious woods and materials they have to hand (Which is really saying something when it comes to Paul's collection).
The first guitar is a fully decked out rendition of the Alex Lifeson Signature Thinline Acoustic Guitar, with a fantastic set of Brazilian Rosewood for the back and sides and a superbly figured European Bearclaw Spruce top. The other an extremely versatile and beautifully intricate Collection Series Brent Mason Studio Signature Electric Guitar, featuring a one piece Pernambuco neck with an African Blackwood fretboard, with the classic PRS spec Mahogany body and Flame Maple top combination.
So without further ado, let's take a closer look at these two magnificent PRS guitars currently residing in our showroom!
This absolutely staggering PRS Private Stock Alex Lifeson Thinline Signature electro-acoustic guitar in Brazilian Rosewood and European Bearclaw Spruce is a truly incredible representation of the very best that Paul Reed Smith and his team have to offer in regards to woods, workmanship and sheer love of the craft.
It's hard to start talking about this instrument without first mentioning the magnificent detailing across the entire guitar; from the iconic Paua 'Birds in Flight' soaring across the fretboard to the gorgeous Curly Maple and Paua/Black Purpling and beautifully embellished Gotoh Tuning Pegs, this guitar really does stop at nothing to be the most eye catching guitar in the room.
Once you start playing the guitar however, this seems to all but melt away as the sound is equally as captivating as the instrument's aesthetic splendour.
The combination of the Brazilian Rosewood back and sides and European Bearclaw Spruce top makes for an unbelievably clear and articulate tone, with a glassy top-end and warm, full lows, it really is a full frequency treat.The marginally thinner body size on this particular model gives you an exceptionally comfortable experience playing the guitar, and in tandem with the lovely Wide neck carve and Venetian Cutaway the whole guitar sits and speaks easily with minimum effort to coax out huge, luscious sounds.
This guitar comes to us in unbelievably clean condition and with all relevant CITES paperwork in its Ameritage Acoustic Hardcase.
- Model: Alex Lifeson Thinline Signature
- Top Wood: European Bearclaw Spruce with Curly Maple Binding and Paua/Black Purfling
- Back and Sides Woods: Brazilian Rosewood with Curly Maple and Black/Maple/Black Purflin
- Neck Wood: Peruvian Mahogany
- Fingerboard Wood: Ebony
- Headstock Veneer Wood: Ebony
- Neck Carve: Wide
- Side Dots: Ivoroid
- Colour/Stain: Natural
- Fingerboard Inlays: Paua "Birds in Flight" with Mother of Pearl Outlines and Paua Purfling
- Headstock Venner Inlays: Paua Private Stock Eagle with Mother of Pearl Outline and Paua Purfling
- Rosette: Spalted Maple/Paua
- Finish Type: High Gloss Nitro
- Electronics: Fishman Matrix
- Hardware: Ebony Bridge and Pins with Paua Dot Inlays and Gold Gotoh Locking Tuning Pegs with Ivoroid Buttons
- Case Type: Ameritage Acoustic
- Specials: Natural High Gloss Nitro Finish, Paua Bird Inlays with Mother of Pearl Outlines, Paua Purfling Along the Top, Fingerboard and Headstock Veneer, Black/Maple/Black Purfling Along the Back and Sides, Curly Maple Binding Along the Body as well as an Adjustable Trussrod.
- Full CITES Paperwork Included.
- Condition: Mint
This is it. The absolute top of the line in the PRS Private Stock workshop, the Collection Series utilises the rarest and most sought after woods and materials in Paul's Private Collection, and this Collection Brent Mason Studio is absolutely in line with those ideals.Given the nature of this instrument, it seems only fitting to start with the incredibly rare Pernambuco Neck. With its generous 'Pattern' profile there's enough heft in this neck to really put across the magic of this unbelievable tone wood, and the choice of an African Blackwood fretboard to sit atop it really sets it off.
Aside from the supreme playability and comfort, the fretboard is a marvel to behold, with gorgeous Paua Heart "Hollow" Celtic-cross inlays with Mammoth Ivory and Paua Heart Purfling running the length of the board.
The Curly Maple top on this guitar is, as you would expect, incredibly figured, and the Faded McCarty Sunburst finish is subtle enough to really let it show. Coupled with a Mahogany back this classic combination yields classic results and the guitar has a beautifully warm and rich tone, even unplugged.
When you do come to plug the guitar in however, its sonic palate positively opens up. With exceptionally versatile coil splitting and tone options inherent to the 'Signature' electronics system and dialled into to the proprietary set of 508 Humbuckers, this instrument realises its title as the perfect studio electric.
The guitar has a very punchy tone with heaps of healthy midrange and sustain that will cut through any mix, and although the looks are to die for, this instrument really is a dream to play and listen to.
This rare and increasingly collectable guitar comes to us in immaculate condition, hand signed by Brent Mason and Paul Reed Smith, with a gorgeous custom 'Collection' Paisley Hardcase that really is as cool as they come, and all of the relevant CITES paperwork within.
- Model: Collection Brent Mason Studio
- Neck Wood: Pernambuco
- Fingerboard Wood: African Blackwood
- Top Wood: Curly Maple
- Back Wood: Mahogany
- Headstock Veneer Wood: African Blackwood
- Neck Carve: Pattern
- Side Dots: Mammoth Ivory
- Colour/Stain: Faded McCarty Sunburst
- Fingerboard Inlays: Collection "Hollow" Celtic-cross Consisting of Paua Heart and Mammoth Ivory with Paua Heart Purfling
- Headstock Veneer Inlays: Paua Paul Reed Smith Signature Inlay and Mammoth Ivory "Brent Mason Collection" Inlay with Paua Heart Purfling
- Finish Type: High Gloss Nitro
- Pickups: Treble: Brent Mason 408 Treble Bass: 408 Bass
- Electronics: Signature
- Hardware: Gold/Nickel PRS Tremolo and Gold Phase III Locking Tuning Pegs with Anodized Gold Buttons
- Case Type: Collection Electric
- Specials: Faded McCarty Sunburst High Gloss Nitro Finish, Paua and Mammoth Ivory Collection "Hollow" Celtic-cross Inlays, Paua Paul Reed Smith Signature Inlay and Mammoth Ivory "Brent Mason Collection" Inlay, Paua Heart Purfling Along the Fingerboard, Headstock Veneer and Truss Rod Cover, Mammoth Ivory Side Dots as well as Santana Fretwire. The Very Rare Collection Grade Woods and Specifications on This Instrument were Personally Hand Selected by Paul Reed Smith.
- Condition: Mint
- All CITES paperwork Included
We've been taken by this stunning pair of guitars since their arrival, with each bringing a different side of Paul and his team's deeply nuanced approach to constructing magnificent guitars.
In truth, with guitars this exceptional they speak for themselves better than I ever could do, so the only thing really left to say is come down to our showroom and try them both out for yourself!
And as always,
Have a fantastic weekend and play a whole load of guitar!