Santa Cruz Spotlight - Ancient Sitka Spruce
We currently have three gorgeous Santa Cruz Guitars in the UK Showroom, all featuring sensational Ancient Sitka Spruce for the top.
We wanted to take the time to tell you a bit more about this tonewood, as it is not only striking in appearance, but also has a sensational tone and a great story behind it.
Sitka Spruce is a readily available, widely used and incredibly trusty choice of soundboard. Naturally well rounded and versatile, Sitka presents a strong fundamental with less overtones than its counterparts lending to an instrument that sits beautifully in a mix as well as in a solo arrangement with a lovely clear voice and sparkling trebles. Sitka can also be visually striking, often tightly grained with lovely horizontal figuring that, at its most extreme, can be seen as 'bear-claw' patterning.
Over the years we have had the pleasure of seeing some truly wonderful examples of this classic wood, but worth a special mention is the 3,000 Year Old Ancient Sitka we've seen on instruments from Santa Cruz including a couple of stunning examples currently in our showroom.
In recent conversation with Richard Hoover, he had a lot to say about this remarkable material;
“This here is the perfect encapsulation of what we do. This spruce top is from Alaska… It was frozen for 3000 years in the permafrost, then it was unearthed and carbon-dated at 3000 years old. Now this has not been fossilised or petrified, it was preserved in the deep freeze.
So, the quality of sound is everything you’d expect with the benefit of the secret of why old instruments sound good; the resins have polymerised and become like crystal, meaning it sounds way better than a new piece of wood would.
The providence of this is an awesome story, and the reason we do it is not that someone needs this kind of wood to make an excellent sounding guitar, but it is to begin the dialogue and give our true message which is 'we can make the best stuff in the world but we don’t have to make the world a worse place by how we use the materials'.
So reclamation, not only do we have better sounding wood but don’t have to cut a tree and there’s a very cool story that goes along with it… In this case, this spruce is going to give a bright, clear, articulate sound, not treble, just clear.”
- Custom OM Model (OM 5723)
- Quilted Sapele back/sides
- Ancient Sitka Spruce top (3,000 years old)
- Adirondack bracing with hot hide glue
- Sapele rosette
- Cowboy rope top purfling
- Sapele overlay
- Thin black back strip
- SCGC logo on fingerboard
- Custom fade on back/sides with overlay to match
- Width at Nut 1-3/4"
- Neck Shape V with Volute
- Fingerboard Side Dots Black
- Inlay 2mm dots
- Width at 14th Fret 2-3/16
- Binding Ivoroid
- Scale Length 25.375
- Tuners/gears Nickel Waverly
- Back & Sides: Brazilian Rosewood
- Top: 3,000 Year Old Ancient Sitka Spruce
- Neck: Flamed Mahogany
- Adirondack Braces with Hot Hide Glue
- 42 Style Body Inlay in Blue Paua
- Blue Paua Tail and Back Strip
- Brazilian Body Binding
- Blue Baua Pegged Binding Inlay
- Blue Paua Fingerboard Binding
- Mother of Pearl Headstock Logo
- Nickel Waverly Tuners with Pearl Buttons
Santa Cruz H13 Custom Acoustic Guitar, NAMM 2018 'Ghost' African Blackwood & Ancient 3000 Year Old Sitka Spruce - Pre-Owned -
- H13 1674, completed in 2018
- Back and sides: African Blackwood
- Top: Ancient Spruce top (3,000 years old)
- Bindings: Snakewood
- Tail Wedge: Snakewood
- Back strip: Snakewood
- Overlay: Snakewood
- Fingerboard inlays: Snakewood century block
- Rosette: Snakewood
- Purfling: Cowboy rope top
- Bridge: Snakewood
- Tuners: Gold 3-on-plate Waverly tuners with Snakewood buttons
- Bridge/End Pins: Bone
For more information on any of these gorgeous guitars please email us here or call us on 0207 835 5597.
Have a lovely weekend.