Talking Guitar: Tom Sands & Stuart Ryan on the Tom Sands Model L
Last week we had the absolute pleasure of hosting a day with Tom Sands of Tom Sands Guitars and guitar aficionado Stuart Ryan here at The North American Guitar showroom. Tom had very kindly brought in his latest masterpiece - an absolutely breathtaking Model L in Madagascar Rosewood and Cedar - for all of us to try before it headed off to Will McNicol in Glasgow to be recorded for Will's latest album.
Here is a wonderful Talking Guitar session with Tom & Stuart on the TNAG sofa...enjoy:
Our first Tom Sands guitar is this incredible Model L in Madagascan Rosewood and Cedar. Tom Sands, the first British luthier to complete an apprenticeship under Ervin Somogyi, offers three models - S, M and L. As the name suggests, the L is the largest of the three, offering a big sound with incredible presence and shimmering trebles.
This guitar is number 12, so don't miss the opportunity to purchase an early build by this supremely talented young luthier.
- Back & sides - Madagascar Rosewood
- Top - Cedar
- Laskin style arm bevel
- Manzer wedge
- Rosette - Bauhaus inspired brushed brass and macassar ebony
- Binding & End graft - Rocklite Ebano sustainable composite
- Position markers - brass
- Bridge - Hand sculpted Rocklite
- Bridge pins - Ebony
- Saddle - 2-1/4” string spacing (bone)
- Nut width - 1-3/4” (bone)
- Neck - Wenge
- Headcap - Madagascar Rosewood
- Rear headcap - Rocklite
- Tuning machines - Robson 501 Lux
- Fingerboard - Rocklite
- Truss rod - Double action, headstock adjustable with magnetic cover
- Fretwire - Jetcar medium evo-gold
- Fretboard radius - 20”
- Scale length - 25.5"
- Case - Hoffee deluxe, black/black
- Finish - AC lacquer
- Strings - Elixir 12-53
For those of you who did not manage to catch last week's Talking Guitar interview with Tom you can watch it here again:
For more information on Tom Sands Guitars and for future orders please do not hesitate to contact us via email or call +44 (0) 207 835 5597.