Bashkin JM, Figured Maple & Swiss Spruce
Not just an artist and musician, Colorado-based luthier Michael Bashkin comes to lutherie with a background in the study of trees and the mechanics of wood. He describes his JM model as a "mid-sized dynamic contemporary guitar". That it certainly is, from tone to aesthetics. With a 15.6" lower bout, he achieves the low end power and presence of a larger guitar while still keeping the clarity and balance of the OM shape. Swiss spruce offers a wide dynamic range and a quick response, as well as a sparkle in the high end that is perfectly supported by the maple back and sides. Michael's maple guitars are some of the best around, setting a high bar for the potential of this less common acoustic guitar tonewood. This guitar has remarkable articulation and clarity from low to high, making it a perfect instrument for both intricate fingerstyle as well as strumming, and for standard tuning as well as exploring drop tunings.
- Top: Swiss spruce
- Back and sides: Flamed European maple
- Neck: Mahogany
- Fretboard: Macassar ebony
- Bridge: Macassar ebony
- Bindings: Indian rosewood
- Purfling: Santos rosewood
- Rosette: Desert ironwood burl
- Linings: Sycamore
- Headstock overlay: Rosewood w/ maple and Thuja burl
- Bracing: Engelmann spruce
- Tuners: Waverly 1:21
- Fret wire: EVO gold w/ hemispherical ends
- Scale length: 25.4"
- Nut width: 1-3/4"
- String spacing: 2-1/4"
- Year of build: 2021
- Case: Visesnut Deluxe
- Michael's preferred strings: John Pearse 600L
Fully insured global shipping
All instruments ship direct from Nashville to anywhere in the world, fully insured with trusted global couriers
Every guitar comes with a 72-hour appraisal period so if you're not satisfied you can return the instrument to us
Why buy this guitar
- The Bashkin JM is a mid-sized guitar, similar to an OM with a wider 15.6" lower bout
- Balanced, warm Swiss spruce is supported by figured maple, for a clear, articulate tone
- Michael's modern aesthetic is executed with the delicate use of rosewood, ironwood and sycamore
This product listing was written by Kim. If you’d like to talk to Kim about this guitar, you can do so here:
Get your personalized demo
Fill in your details below, tell us what you'd like to hear, and we'll send your personal demo within 24 hours
Email Kim about this guitar
Michael Bashkin has been at the forefront of the modern acoustic lutherie scene for decades. With crisp, elegant designs and extraordinary craftsmanship and the tonal response, a Bashkin guitar is extremely inspirational. Immediate, rich and sophisticated they are superb instruments for the discerning contemporary player.