Gaffney Modified Dreadnought, Brazilian Rosewood & Redwood
Spread the cost
- Open to all
- 25% deposit secures the guitar
- Spread the remaining cost over 3 months
The latest addition to our collection of instruments from NY-based luthier Julian Gaffney is another exquisite Modified Dreadnought. From the tonewoods to the fine appointments, we couldn't be more thrilled with the result.
A familiar design for any Somogyi fans, the modified dreadnought was created to give fingerstylists and other players who prefer to play seated a comfortable large-bodied instrument. On this model, redwood and Brazilian rosewood come together for a tone that is open, ethereal and orchestral. For folks who love the dark warmth of cedar, redwood offers a similar tone, but with an added clarity and bite in the midrange. It's perfect for balancing out the "scooped-out" sound of Brazilian rosewood. And as usual, the large-bodied dreadnought size is ideal for maximizing all the best features of Brazilian rosewood. The sustain, the bell-like sweetness in the high end, the overtones - this guitar has it all in spades. This is the guitar for the adventurous player who loves to dive into every drop tuning under the sun.
To accent this guitar's otherworldly tone, Julian took the rosette in an interesting direction, making half an intricate woven pattern in light brown, ivory and green, and the other a pair of abalone half-rings. On the headstock, there's a framed strip of abalone that has an Art Deco feel. The overall impact is dramatic and distinctive, without being flashy or over the top.
- Model/body: Modified dreadnought with Florentine cutaway
- Top: Redwood
- Back and sides: Brazilian rosewood
- Neck: Mahogany
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Bridge and pins: Ebony
- Saddle: Bone, drop-in
- Binding: Ebony
- Rosette: Ring with abalone detail
- Brace pattern: X
- Scale length: 25-1/4"
- Nut width: 1-3/4"
- String spacing: 2-1/4"
- Year of build: 2021
- Case: Hoffee
Fully insured global shipping
All instruments ship direct from Nashville to anywhere in the world, fully insured with trusted global couriers
Every guitar comes with a 72-hour appraisal period so if you're not satisfied you can return the instrument to us
Why buy this guitar
- The modified dreadnought takes the size and power of a classic dreadnought and combines it with a tighter waist and curvier design, making it more accessible for fingerstylists and other players with a lighter attack
- Redwood's dark warmth and midrange clarity perfectly balance Brazilian rosewood's strong high and low end
- A stunning and creative half-and-half rosette and an Art Deco-inspired touch of abalone on the headstock add a touch of visual drama
This product listing was written by Lindsay. If you’d like to talk to Lindsay about this guitar, you can do so here:
Get your personalized demo
Fill in your details below, tell us what you'd like to hear, and we'll send your personal demo within 24 hours
Email Lindsay about this guitar
Julian graduated from the Galloup school of lutherie then worked for Sadowsky Guitars for nearly eight years before beginning his apprenticeship at the Somogyi workshop. As you'd expect of a luthier with his pedigree, Julian's work is beautifully executed with a super-fast response and a full, rich tone.