Kostal 00, Master Grade Koa & German Spruce
The ripply figuring of the master-grade koa on this 00 from Jason Kostal has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. It's beautiful enough to get by on looks alone, but fortunately, it's got the tone to match. Notably articulate, each string rings with its own clear voice, even when strummed. Low to high, there is a balance that makes single note picking deeply satisfying, no doubt thanks in part to the German spruce top.
Jason put two year's worth of development into his 00, and that work certainly shows. This is no demure-sounding couch guitar. Inspired by developments and techniques he learned while crafting his Modified Dreadnoughts and OMs, he adjusted the depth, bracing and overall measurements of his 00 to maximize its tonal output. A slightly deeper body measuring 4.25" doesn't detract from comfort when playing while seated, but results in some serious boosts in bass presence and overall dynamic range. The short-scale length makes this an obvious choice for complex chords, and ensures responsiveness for players with a lighter touch, but with no loss of attack and presence while strumming.
The caramel hue of the koa is offset by ebony, both on the binding as well as on the two-tone headstock. Another Jason trademark feature is his stained glass rosette, here in a violet hue reminiscent of amethyst, with a color-matched inlay on the endgraft.
- Model: 00, 12-fret
- Top: German spruce
- Back and sides: Master-grade koa
- Scale length: 24.75"
- Nut width: 1.75"
- String spacing at the bridge: 2-5/16"
- Lower bout: 14.5"
- Depth: 4.25"
- Top braces: Sitka spruce
- Back braces: Mahogany
- Neck: One-piece Honduran mahogany
- Fingerboard: Ebony w/ ebony binding
- Fretwire: Medium tall
- Rosette: Stained glass
- Endgraft: Decorative
- Headstock veneer: Two-tone front, ebony back
- Binding: Ebony
- Backstrip: Ebony
- Bridge: Ebony
- Tuners: Gotoh 510 chrome/ebony
- Case: Hoffee custom hard case
- Serial number: 190
- Year of build: 2021
Fully insured global shipping
All instruments ship direct from Nashville to anywhere in the world, fully insured with trusted global couriers
Every guitar comes with a 72-hour appraisal period so if you're not satisfied you can return the instrument to us
Why buy this guitar
- Thanks to a deeper body and specially designed bracing system, Jason's 00 has a voice and clarity that belies its modest size
- As if the dramatic figuring of the koa wasn't enough on its own, Jason's unique stained glass rosette in a kaleidoscope of purple hues is matched with a stone-like endgraft
- Sitting between Sitka and Adirondack in terms of stiffness, German spruce combines the warmth, clarity, and dynamic range of those more common spruces
This product listing was written by Lindsay. If you’d like to talk to Lindsay about this guitar, you can do so here:
Get your personalized demo
Fill in your details below, tell us what you'd like to hear, and we'll send your personal demo within 24 hours
Email Lindsay about this guitar
Based in Phoenix, Arizona, luthier Jason Kostal set up independently following four years teaching at the prestigious Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery, and an extended three-year apprenticeship with Ervin Somogyi.