Kostal Jumbo, Master Grade Quilted Maple & German Spruce
Spread the cost
- Open to all
- 25% deposit secures the guitar
- Spread the remaining cost over 3 months
This Kostal Jumbo in master-grade quilted maple and German spruce is a recreation of the guitar that Jason is very proud to have displayed at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona. TNAG's own Ben Montague had the opportunity to spec out this particular model with Jason back in 2018, and we're delighted to finally have it in our hands. Described as "an OM on steroids", Jason's Jumbo design combines the balance of an OM with the power and might of his Modified Dreadnought. It is certainly a big guitar, but not unwieldy or without sensitivity.
As visually enticing as the quilting of this set of master-grade maple is, the sound it imparts was the most surprising aspect. Maple is typically known for its bright, simple clarity. But the one adjective that came up over and over to describe this guitar is "warm". Warm and enveloping, yet clear, and capable of some serious driving force, especially paired with a spruce like German.
As usual, Jason's stained glass rosette and color-matched inlays found all across the body and neck are stunning. On the back, the sandy hue of the maple is offset by inlay that looks like purple lapis lazuli, for a guitar that is as pleasing visually as it is aurally.
- Model: Jumbo, 14-fret
- Top: German spruce
- Back and sides: Master-grade quilted maple
- Scale length: 25.25”
- Nut width: 1.75”
- Lower bout: 16.375"
- Depth: 5"
- Top braces: Sitka spruce
- Back braces: Mahogany
- Neck: One-piece Honduran mahogany
- Fingerboard: Ebony with ebony binding
- Fretwork: Medium Tall
- Rosette: Stained glass
- End graft: Decorative
- Headstock veneer: Two-tone
- Binding: Ebony
- Cutaway: Florentine
- Tapered body: Manzer-style wedge
- Side position markers: MOP
- Backstrip: Decorative
- Bridge: Ebony
- Tuners: Gotoh 510 Cosmo
- Case: Hoffee custom hard case
- Serial number: 177
- Year of build: 2021
Fully insured global shipping
All instruments ship direct from Nashville to anywhere in the world, fully insured with trusted global couriers
Every guitar comes with a 72-hour appraisal period so if you're not satisfied you can return the instrument to us
Why buy this guitar
- The Kostal Jumbo sits somewhere between an OM and a Modified Dreadnought. Though 5" at the deepest point, it's a powerful guitar that doesn't sacrifice comfortable playability
- Master-grade quilted maple paired with German spruce results in a tone that is surprisingly warm, but with all the clarity and punch you could want from a maple guitar
- Jason always makes his guitars as beautiful looking as they sound. The violet hues of the stained glass rosette are matched with a stone-like inlay on the back and on the fretboard
Based in Phoenix, Arizona, luthier Jason Kostal set up independently following four years teaching at the prestigious Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery, and an extended three-year apprenticeship with Ervin Somogyi.