Maxmonte Thames, Flamed Koa & Western Red Cedar - Pre-Owned
Spread the cost
- Open to all
- 25% deposit secures the guitar
- Spread the remaining cost over 3 months
The Maxmonte Thames model is a mid-sized fingerpicking powerhouse! Though it's comparable to an OM in width, depth and scale, Max's use of a Laskin-style beveled armrest gives this guitar the comfortable feel of a smaller 00. The autumnal hues of this Thames are created through the use of flamed koa for the back and sides and a western red cedar top, a pairing that we think should be far more common. Cedar's intimate, responsive warmth is perfectly accented by koa's brightness and clarity. For folky fingerstyle that draws heavily on Travis picking and James Taylor-style riffs, it's hard to imagine a better guitar than this one, with its excellent articulation and sweet trebles. The matte finish neck has a slim C profile for effortless feel and playability.
This guitar technically is not pre-owned, but Max shipped it to us after the La Conner festival, where it picked up a finish scratch on the back. It's otherwise in excellent condition, and the future owner will have the benefit of Max's typical warranty.
- Model: OM/000
- Top: Western red cedar
- Back and sides: Flamed koa
- Neck: Mahogany, matte finish
- Profile: Slim C
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Radius: Compound
- Bridge: Ebony
- Binding: Ovangkol
- Armrest: Laskin-style with squared corners
- Rosette: Spalted tamarind and koa
- Scale length: 25-1/2"
- Nut width: 1-3/4"
- String spacing: 2-1/4"
- Lower bout: 15"
- Depth: 4-1/4"
- Case: Hiscox
Fully insured global shipping
All instruments ship direct from Nashville to anywhere in the world, fully insured with trusted global couriers
Every guitar comes with a 72-hour appraisal period so if you're not satisfied you can return the instrument to us
Why buy this guitar
- The Thames model is essentially Max's OM, perfect for fingerstyle and even more comfortable with a Laskin-style bevelled armrest
- Western red cedar and koa blend together for warmth, sparkling clarity, and effortless response
- Ovangkol for the binding and armrest, and spalted tamarind and koa for the rosette add the perfect touches to this autumn-colored guitar
Italian luthier Massimiliano Monterosso is an innovative, explorative builder, whose guitars push the boundaries while staying rooted in lutherie tradition.