Santa Cruz D/PW, Ancient Kauri & Ancient Sitka Spruce
Spread the cost
- Open to all
- 25% deposit secures the guitar
- Spread the remaining cost over 3 months
While the original D Pre-War model might have been introduced to make Santa Cruz's peerless quality more accessible, there is nothing "no frills" about this special D/PW. The use of ancient tonewoods on this guitar is at once unusual, rare, and yet sustainable - one of Richard Hoover's many goals in guitar building.
The ancient Kauri, "which was unearthed in the beginning of the new millennium and radiocarbon dated at 45,000 years old. Buried immediately during the historic cataclysm and, being starved of oxygen, the anaerobic environment kept this wonder of nature free from decay, capturing it in a place without time…until today." These mighty trees were once similar in stature to the sequoias of North America. Appropriately, it has been paired with ancient Sitka spruce, while vintage-inspired build techniques draw out "powerful volume, overtones and rich presence". The unique color palette is accented with touches of snakewood on the bridge, binding, rosette and tuner buttons, and finished with cowboy rope purfling.
- Model: Pre-war dreadnought
- Soundboard: Ancient Sitka spruce
- Back and sides: Ancient Kauri
- Neck: Mahogany w/ V-profile
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Tuners: Gold Waverly with snakewood buttons
- Nut material: Bone
- Peghead veneer: Snakewood
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Body binding: Snakewood
- Bridge: Snakewood
- Rosette and back strip: Snakewood
- Purfling: Cowboy rope
- Pins and saddle material: Bone
- Saddle type: Drop-in, compensated
- Brace pattern: Scalloped, advanced X Adirondack braces
- Nut width: 1-11/16"
- String spacing: 2-3/16"
- Scale length: 25.375"
- Year of build: 2021
- Case: Ameritage
Fully insured global shipping
All instruments ship direct from Nashville to anywhere in the world, fully insured with trusted global couriers
Every guitar comes with a 72-hour appraisal period so if you're not satisfied you can return the instrument to us
Why buy this guitar
- Santa Cruz's pre-war dreadnought model draws on the best elements of Golden Era guitar craft, with their own peerless approach
- Ancient Sitka spruce forms the soundboard, providing a nuanced and unusual take on the Sitka tonal palette
- Body wood
- Ancient Kauri, unearthed after 45,000 years in an anaerobic environment, has been uniquely preserved without decay
This product listing was written by Lindsay. If you’d like to talk to Lindsay about this guitar, you can do so here:
Get your personalized demo
Fill in your details below, tell us what you'd like to hear, and we'll send your personal demo within 24 hours
Email Lindsay about this guitar
Santa Cruz Guitar Company
Founded by Richard Hoover in 1976, the Santa Cruz Guitar Company brought boutique guitar making to the forefront of the steel string guitar business.