Santa Cruz H13, White Ebony & Moon Spruce
Spread the cost
- Open to all
- 25% deposit secures the guitar
- Spread the remaining cost over 3 months
Santa Cruz's H model is named for Paul Hostetter, described as "the guardian of the lore of all things vintage and stringed", who commissioned the very first Gibson-inspired H model prototype back in 1978. The thought behind the H13 design is fascinating, so we'll let Santa Cruz do the talking:
"SCGC’s concept for the H13 is to achieve power beyond what would be expected in a small-bodied guitar. Two fundamental lutherie tricks make this possible: a longer string length (more downward pressure at the saddle) and more air space via a deeper body (increased volume and bass response). To place the bridge in the optimal position for power and maintain the longer string length, the neck needs to join the body at the 13th fret. Cool, huh? This is a gorgeous classic with power and presence expected from a much larger instrument."
The unusual combination of white ebony and moon spruce offers up a unique tone, a little bit gutsy in the bass, but with a nice, clean attack and sweet but not overwhelming sustain in the mids and highs. In place of mahogany, they've used figured maple for the neck, furthering the scheme of lights and darks.
- Body: H, 13-fret
- Top: Moon spruce
- Back and sides: White ebony
- Neck: Maple
- Tuners: Waverly Nickel
- Rosette and purfling: Custom wood
- Bridge: Ebony, pyramid
- Saddle: Bone, drop in, compensated
- Brace pattern: H13 scalloped/tapered
- Nut width: 1-3/4"
- String spacing: 2-3/16"
- Scale length: 25.375"
- Lower bout: 14.625"
- Depth: 5"
- Serial number: 1784
- Case: Ameritage hardshell
Fully insured global shipping
All instruments ship direct from Nashville to anywhere in the world, fully insured with trusted global couriers
Every guitar comes with a 72-hour appraisal period so if you're not satisfied you can return the instrument to us
Why buy this guitar
- The H13 design maximizes the sonic potential of the small-bodied guitar by adding depth and retaining a full scale length
- Beautifully striped white ebony and moon spruce pair together for a tone that's a little bit gutsy in the bass, with a nice, clean attack and sweet but not overwhelming sustain in the mids and highs
- Minimalist appointments, like a simple custom wood rosette and purfling and black binding, perfectly accent this guitar's stark, unusual beauty
This product listing was written by Kim. If you’d like to talk to Kim about this guitar, you can do so here:
Get your personalized demo
Fill in your details below, tell us what you'd like to hear, and we'll send your personal demo within 24 hours
Email Kim about this guitar
Santa Cruz Guitar Company
Founded by Richard Hoover in 1976, the Santa Cruz Guitar Company brought boutique guitar making to the forefront of the steel string guitar business. With the aim of developing a true custom shop, a small team in the hills of Santa Cruz, California, build around 400 ‘heirloom quality’ instruments every year.