Santa Cruz Tony Rice Custom Model, Tinted Top, Indian Rosewood & German Spruce
Spread the cost
- Open to all
- 25% deposit secures the guitar
- Spread the remaining cost over 3 months
Santa Cruz says it best: "Never intended to be a copy of Mr. Rice’s iconic 1935 Martin D-28, the TR Model is voiced to showcase his stellar lead work with influences from Clarence White to John Coltrane. This guitar delivers exactly what the contemporary flatpicking artist needs: substantial treble and midrange for rapid single-line lead, clean note separation for definition and the traditional bass boom without the woofy bottom end of some of the venerable Pre-war dreadnoughts."
Outfitted with the Tony Rice dread's usual enlarged soundhole, this custom model sports a German spruce top and Indian rosewood back and sides for excellent warmth, articulation and balance. Unusual for the model, the soundboard has been tinted, giving it the vintage coloring of the SCGC 1934 series guitars, while retaining the character that has made this Signature model so well-loved.
- Model: Dreadnought
- Soundboard: German spruce
- Back and sides: Indian rosewood
- Neck: Mahogany with V profile
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly
- Nut and saddle material: Bone
- Saddle type: Drop in, compensated
- Peghead veneer: Ebony
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Rosette and purfling: Herringbone
- Back strip: Zipper
- Binding: Ivoroid
- Bridge and pins: Ebony
- Brace pattern: Scalloped X, Adirondack spruce
- Scale length: 25.375"
- Nut width: 1-11/16"
- String spacing: 2-3/16"
- Serial number: 7708R
- Year of build: 2021
- Case: Ameritage
Fully insured global shipping
All instruments ship direct from Nashville to anywhere in the world, fully insured with trusted global couriers
Every guitar comes with a 72-hour appraisal period so if you're not satisfied you can return the instrument to us
Why buy this guitar
- Santa Cruz took their dreadnought design and further refined it to highlight the best aspects of Tony Rice's masterful playing
- German spruce and Indian rosewood create a tone defined by balance and warmth, with a restrained bass
- This custom model sports a tinted top like the 1934 series guitars, along with classic ivoroid binding and herringbone purfling and rosette
This product listing was written by Kim. If you’d like to talk to Kim about this guitar, you can do so here:
Get your personalized demo
Fill in your details below, tell us what you'd like to hear, and we'll send your personal demo within 24 hours
Email Kim about this guitar
Santa Cruz Guitar Company
Founded by Richard Hoover in 1976, the Santa Cruz Guitar Company brought boutique guitar making to the forefront of the steel string guitar business.